Dec 1, 2016

Something You Should Ponder If You Are Hiring



When I first started working, it was in 2013.

To be specific, I started working in June. Just a month after the general election was held and cliché which, the incumbent right-wing Barisan Nasional won a second term against the opposition after such rumours that they could not make it. Hence, the cliché. 

Economy in 2013 was moderately convincing. With its constant conducive business environment, the resilient macroeconomic made it justly conclusive for youths to apply for jobs. Malaysia in 2013 was well connected with the world class infrastructure comprising (and promising) excellent transport connectivity. Among the significances, the affordable costs of living did not cause serious anxiety to this one employee with RM2,300 monthly remuneration. 

2013 was when the GST not yet implemented. Corruption was on-going like its usual business but the conundrum was not complicated like how it is escalated on our local and international medias today. Our political agenda was not widely exposed to the world and no international investigation was made on our Prime Minister and his alliances. 2013 for me was understandably stable with attractive governmental support through its policies and of course, minimal controversy.

Even with that sound economic reputation, little did I know that the chance to get a place for a job interview was indeed, hard. As everybody knows and nods, it is the explicit requirement of certain number of experience from companies. 

I remember the times I spent ridiculously for a job advertisement that fit my zero year of experience. I did find few but there were no calls after the application. And some other offers however lenient and interesting they were, either it was at the remotest corner in Malaysia and/or something that did not meet my career aspiration so I had to let them go.

So skills are directly proportional to years of experience?

I doubt so and after so much thoughts and observations since June 2013 to December 2016 now, I have been contemplating on the situation and requirement, which I must conclude that it is an indeed a special group of employment discrimination.

Let me first define discrimination. It is a treatment or consideration by making a distinction in favour of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit.

So, to relate with the employment history, it is unfair to distinct the zero-experience potential employees from other who can write more than two-pages resume with variant experiences; by judging that these zero-experience applicants have no appropriate skills and potentials to first establish their career platform. I however fathom that the requirement is needed to ensure a smooth running of operation with the least time and money spent for guiding and training, but isn’t that what Human Resource supposed to do?

The most popular question and response I got from this group is, “If they’re not hiring me, how can I get the experience?”; which is true and which I questioned it more than hundred times before.

With the bad economy climate now, I noticed that the creation of jobless generation is actively being made; especially that the experience requirement is still advertised as a vital aspect for job application. As this global crisis affecting both advanced and developing countries, the number of experience represents a colossal waste of human potential and a substantive drag on future economic growth.

So where exactly these potentials are being wasted at?

Hundreds or thousands or maybe millions of them are engaged in part-time, temporary or “zero hours” contracts that offer no security, few development opportunities and little autonomy.

Do you agree with me that; eliminating the discrimination helps everyone to have an equal opportunity to work and to develop their skills?

No comments: